Sunday, January 16, 2011

Back to the drawing board

Well, je n'avais pas encore quitté la planche à dessin!

Researching DC-DC chips I learned that 85% efficiency is really hard to obtain: you have to optimize components (inductance, condensators, etc..). As low as 60% is not uncommon... (watch EEVblog #110 @30min)

This is not acceptable for a portable solution: carrying a bulky battery pack mainly to heat your case?

So I won't finally use a DC-DC converter for main voltage (we'll see for phantom): I'll stack LiPo or LiFe cells to go up to the ~16V dual voltage rail and regulate it off the Mackie board with a zener + emitter follower  regulator (as this one ?).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this board and would love to find a way to make it mobile for field recording. I'll check in from time to time and see how it is going. Let me know if I can help (although I don't know how I could). If I can't get this mobile then I'm going to a Samaon Mixpad 4 if I can find one.